Landlord enforcement

We work with people who live in privately rented accommodation as well as council tenants. Take a look at our private housing enforcement policy.

Landlords are responsible for:

  • Repairs to the building's structure and exterior: Roof, windows, doors, drains, gutters, baths, sinks, toilet, heating and hot water, damp and general repairs
  • Ensuring the property meets minimum health and safety standards
  • Properly installing and maintaining gas appliances, pipework and flues to avoid the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning
  • Gas appliances must be checked yearly by a Gas Safe registered installer

Tenants may have responsibility for minor jobs such as:

  • Replacing fuses, clearing a blocked sink, ensuring tenants or visitors do not damage the property
  • You may be responsible for internal painting and decorating (unless otherwise stated on your tenancy agreement), and disposing of household rubbish
  • Check your tenancy agreement to see what you are responsible for

Property disrepair

If you think your home is in a poor condition or it needs repairs, firstly contact your landlord or managing company. They should inspect the property and complete the repairs in a reasonable timescale. If this does not happen or you are unhappy with their response, you should then contact our Housing Enforcement Team.

Email: Tel: 01827 709709.

What we will do:

Contact your landlord and request the work is completed. We can carry out an inspection under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).

The HHSRS helps us to assess and identify housing related hazards, including damp and mould growth, excess cold, falls on stairs, fire safety, and electrical safety. After our inspection, we will write to your landlord and ask them to carry out repairs. If these are 'low risk', we can only recommend they are completed.

If your landlord does not do this in a reasonable timescale, we can consider taking formal enforcement action. This could result in a legal notice being served which would require the work to be carried out within a set timescale. If your landlord does not do this, we may carry out the works and recover the costs from your landlord.