Electoral Registration FAQ

What is the Register of Electors?

The electoral register is a list of everyone who is registered to vote. You need to be on the register before you can vote in an election or referendum. You are not automatically registered, even if you pay council tax.

How can I register to vote?

There are two ways to register to vote by Annual Canvass or by Rolling registration.

Annual canvass: Between August and September we send a form to every household asking for the details to be checked, and updated where necessary. If details have not changed, you must still re-register by: calling the FREEPHONE number shown on the form, using the internet registration site or by signing the form and returning it to us by post.

Rolling Registration: Apply to be added to the register between December and August by completing a Rolling Registration form. Send the form to us and we will process your application promptly. We will write to you to confirm that your application has been accepted once the necessary deadline has passed. Following your initial registration, ensure you complete and return the annual canvass form.

Who can look at the electoral register?

There are two versions of the register – the full version and the edited version. Your details must always appear on the full version, but you can choose whether or not your details appear on the edited register.

  • Full register: used for elections, preventing and detecting crime, checking applications for credit.
  • Edited register: for general sale and can be used for marketing. You can opt out of appearing on the edited register under the annual canvass.
  • Anyone can look at the electoral register by going into their local electoral office.
  • The electoral register is not linked to council tax.

To purchase this register please contact the Elections Office Tel: 01827 709263 or email: elections@tamworth.gov.uk

You can register to vote if you are:

  • Aged 18, or will become 18, during the "life" of the Register of Electors
  • The Register of Electors is published on the 1st December each year and is in force for the following twelve months
  • A British or Commonwealth Citizen
  • A European Union Citizen

You must:

  • Be a resident in the Tamworth area
  • Have made a service voter declaration
  • Have registered as an Oversees elector

If you are not registered you will not be able to vote. You could also have difficulty obtaining credit or opening a bank account.

Why should I register on the Register of Electors?

If you are not registered at election time you will not be able to vote. Credit agencies use the Register of Electors for credit reference purposes. If you are not included you may find it difficult to obtain credit, open a bank account, or get a mortgage.

It is your responsibility to register and it is an offence to fail to do so. You can be fined up to £1,000 for failing to provide the information requested on the Annual Canvass form.

How do I change my address or name on the Register of Electors?

Changing address does not mean that you leave your vote behind. You can change your registration by completing an application to register form.  The fact that you pay Council Tax does not mean that you will be automatically registered to vote. We are not allowed to base the Register of Electors on the Council Tax Register.

Change of name: if your name has altered since you registered you can alter your details by completing an Amendment to the Register of Electors form.

How can I check that I am registered to vote at my current address?

The Register of Electors is available for public inspection at Marmion House or contact us at: Tel: 01827 709263 or email: elections@tamworth.gov.uk to check whether you are registered.

How do I register to vote if I am in the Services?

If you, or your spouse, are in the Army, Navy or the RAF, or if you (or your spouse) are a Crown Servant, you can either:

  • Make a Special Declaration to register at the address you would live at if you were not in the services, or at your last registered address, if you do not have a permanent residence
  • Register as normal at the address you normally live at by completing an Application to Register for Elections form or by completing the Annual Canvass form
  • How do I register if I am homeless or living in temporary accommodation?
  • Homeless people or people living in temporary or long-term hostel accommodation are entitled to register to vote.

There are two ways of doing this depending on your situation. If you have lived and will be living in relatively stable accommodation for a year or longer it is possible to register in the usual way. Contact the Elections Office on Tel: 01827 709263 or email: elections@tamworth.gov.uk or visit www.aboutmyvote.co.uk to download a form.