Environmental Permitting

Main legislation covering environmental permits

Certain industrial, waste and energy generation activities can give rise to emissions to the air, land and water and need an Environmental Permit to ensure that these results of these processes are controlled and safe.

The main legislation is the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016for more information visit the government legislation website here

The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 were made under the Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999 and require a range of industrial processes with the potential to cause pollution, to obtain a permit before operating.  These industrial processes are split into three designations: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.  

Permits covering Part A(1) and Part A(2) sites will consider issues such as: emissions to air, land, water and energy and water usage.  

A Part B permit only considers emissions to air.  The Environment Agency regulates Part A(1) sites. 

The Council regulates Part A(2) (LA-IPPC) and Part B sites (LAPPC).

Schedule 1, Part 2 of The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 (EP Regulations) details regulated activities which require an environmental permit. 

Listed below are some examples as an illustration. You should check the regulations for a full list.

  • Combustion processes (eg waste oil burners,) 
  • Incinerators (eg crematoria and waste incineration,) 
  • Timber processes (eg timber manufacture and timber treatment,)  
  • Mineral processes (eg cement plant and mineral screening, grading and crushing,)  
  • Animal and plant treatment processes (eg animal feed manufacture, pet food, composting,)  
  • Solvent and oil recovery processes (eg petrol filling stations and dry cleaners,)  
  • Coating processes (eg printing, vehicle re-spraying.)

How to apply
It is advisable to contact the Environment Protection Team on 01827 709709 before submitting the application to discuss the application and requirements .  

Eligibility criteria
The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility. 

Information required:

•    Give a full description of the process, including precautions taken to minimise or prevent air pollution,  
•    Enclose drawings and process diagrams,  
•    Describe techniques for monitoring, sampling and measuring air emissions,  
•    Include a statement of how your proposal will meet the Best Available Techniques (BAT) objectives, 
•    Any other information specifically requested

Application form

To apply for a permit you will need to complete the relevant application form and submit it to the Environmental Protection Team along with any additional information and the correct application fee. 

Click here for our application form - coming soon

Fees and charges. 

A fee will be payable except for non-substantial variations and the surrender of Part B permits.
Link to fees (or the actual information to be inserted here)

The fees are set by defra and can be found here on their web page

Does tacit consent apply?
No.   If your permit has not been issued or you have not agreed to an extension with the local authority within 4 months (or 3 months for waste oil burners and dry cleaners) your application will have been deemed to be unsuccessful.

How is an application decided?
We will consider the protection of the environment and seek to prevent or, where this is not practicable, reduce emissions into the air, water and land. We may inform the public of the application and we must consider any representations.

Public Register

A public register of information relevant to each permit is kept by each regulator.  To view the full Public Register please contact the Environmental Health.


New applications are consulted with relevant bodies, although anyone can submit representations during the consultation period and all representations are considered when the permit conditions are drafted. Any comments should be addressed to the Environmental Management Team on 01827 709709 or email environmentalmanagement@tamworth.gov.uk

Consultations on current applications for Environmental Permits under the EP Regulations will be placed here.