Personal licence

A Personal Licence is a licence needed by anyone who supervises the sale of alcohol by retail in any premises - including pubs, off-licences, restaurants and hotels.

The requirement to have a personal licence holder does not apply to qualifying clubs or for events operating under a Temporary Event Notice.

Applications are made to the council for the area in which the applicant lives.  The Licence is valid for life (unless it is suspended, surrendered or forfeited), and will move with the holder from one premises to another, allowing greater flexibility.  The issuing council will be responsible for continuing to issue this licence even if the holder moves away from the area. You must inform the issuing council of any changes of name or address.

There are various duties on holders of personal licences, and the court can forfeit their licence if they are convicted of various offences.

Forms and procedures for personal licences

The following table describes several procedures relating to personal licences, provides links to forms and guidance.  Further detailed guidance is available at the Gov.UK website.

What do you want to do?



Apply for a personal licence

Please download the following application forms. You will need to complete BOTH of the application forms:

Application forms for a personal licence

Disclosure of convictions and civil penalties declaration

You will also need to provide:-

  • Two photographs of yourself, one of which must be endorsed.
  • Copy of your proof of entitlement to work in the UK.
  • Your basic disclosure certificate via the UK Gov website
  • Your licensing qualification.
  • Your payment.

Guidance for the Grant of a Personal Licence


Let the council know that you have changed your name or address Change of name or address form  £10.50
Get a replacement personal licence because yours has been stolen, lost etc.

Write to the address given below giving your name, address, personal licence number giving the reasons why you need a replacement licence.  Please provide your police reference number if you have one.

Application for a duplicate personal licence



Contact us
Licensing Team, Tamworth Borough Council, Marmion House, Lichfield Street, Tamworth, B79 7BZ
Tel: 01827 709709. Email: