Register a food business

coffeeWhy you need to register your food business:
The law says that any premises used for a food business must be registered. To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you must register with us. The register allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all premises in our area so that we can visit them when we need to. How often we visit will depend on the degree of risk involved.
You need to register if you run a food business including premises used for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.
  • Restaurants, pubs, cafes, takeaways, hotels and guest houses
  • Childminders
  • Shops, supermarkets, staff canteens and kitchens in offices
  • Food warehouses, delivery vehicles
  • Market and other stalls, ie: those selling hot dogs or ice cream
  • Food businesses run from home
  • Vans and fast food mobile vehicles
  • If you have a mobile food vehicle, you need to register it where it is stored when you are not trading, such as at your home address overnight.
When to register your food business: Anyone starting a new food business must register with us at least 28 days before opening up for the first time. If you are already running a food business and have not registered, you should contact us as soon as possible.
Exemption from registration: Most premises need to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt. If you think you might be exempt or are not sure, please contact us.
Approval for handling animal products: If you are a manufacturer handling animal products, you may need to be approved rather than registered. This may be by us or by the Meat Hygiene Service.

Guidance if you are registering your food business:

  • There is no charge
  • You only need to provide the completed application form. No other evidence is needed
  • After receiving your application, we will carry out a full food hygiene inspection in due course to make sure that hygiene standards meet with the law
  • You do not need to renew your registration. You only need to tell us about changes, for example, the nature of your business has changed.   To tell us about a change or to let us know that you  have stopped trading please email or telephone 01827 709709
Register of food businesses in Tamworth: We enter details from all the application forms on our database. A register of the name of the business (if any), its address, telephone number and the type of business is open for inspection by the public. Records of other information provided will not be publicly available.