Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register

Please take a moment to read the following the information about the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register. A link to the registration page can be found at the bottom of the page.

Who is eligible to register?
If you are over 18 years old; a British citizen, national of a member state of the European Economic Area, or a national of Switzerland; and looking to build a house to occupy as your sole or main residence, then you can apply to be added to the register.

How do I register?
You can register by filling in the form using the link at the bottom of this page.

Is there a fee for registering?
Local authorities are able to charge a fee for entering a person or association onto the register and an annual fee to remain on the register, but fees are set locally and we don’t currently charge.

What information do I need to provide?
As a minimum you need to provide your name and address along with confirmation that you meet the eligibility criteria listed above. If you are applying on behalf of an association, you will also need to provide the name of the association and details of each of the members.

The form also asks for additional information on things like the type of property you are looking to build and the size of plot you are looking for. This additional information is not mandatory but will help us to get a better idea of the types of sites we should be looking to provide.

Would I still require planning permission?
Yes. Any proposed development would still have to go through the relevant planning and building control processes. Acceptance on to the register is not an indication that a proposed development is acceptable in planning terms. We offer a pre-application advice service which may benefit you in developing a scheme. You can find information about the service on our Planning help page

Will my information be published anywhere?
There is no requirement to make the register public, the information will only be used to influence decisions made within the Council and will be kept in accordance with the appropriate data protection procedures. We may look to put you in contact with other organisations or individuals who could help get your development off the ground, but we would only do so with your prior permission.

What if I want to be removed from the register?
You can ask to be removed from the register at any time, but the request must be made in writing (including by email).

We may also remove an entry from the register if we consider that the individual or association is no longer eligible for any reason. Where an entry is removed from the register, we will notify the relevant people within 28 days giving the reason for the decision.

Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register Application Form