Tips (household recycling centres)

Household Waste Recycling Centres, or tips, in Staffordshire are run by Staffordshire County Council.

The centres have facilities to recycle paper and card, low energy light bulbs, glass bottles, electrical appliances, fridges, freezers, scrap metal, car batteries, oil and much more.

If you live on the west side of Tamworth your nearest centre may be Lichfield Recycling Centre. If you live on the east side of Tamworth your nearest centre may be Lower House Farm Recycling Centre in Warwickshire. To find your nearest tip or for further information visit

If you have any queries please contact Staffordshire County Council customer services on 0300 111 8000 or email

Charges at Household Waste Recycling Centres in Staffordshire
Staffordshire County Council has introduced charges for certain non-household waste at all the Household Waste Recycling Centres across the county. It is not a statutory duty for the sites to take household waste that isn’t produced in the normal day-to-day occupation of a home. Waste from DIY or garden work is not legally regarded as normal household rubbish. As a result, from 1 November 2016 Staffordshire County Council started to charge for the disposal of some DIY type waste, including soil and rubble, plasterboard and tyres at its household waste and recycling centres. The charge will contribute to the cost of disposing of the materials, and Staffordshire County Council will not make a profit as a result. Find out more about the charges on Staffordshire County Council's website

Please note that all vans and pick-ups are chargeable. Trailers are permitted with single axle and no handbrake. 

Think about donating useful items first

Before you take your unwanted items to the tip, remember, charity shops are always looking for good quality items of clothing, records, tapes and bric-a-brac. 

You can also visit the Tamworth Freecycle website, which aims to reduce the amount of rubbish we throw away by giving people an opportunity to give away things that they don't need.

Other related topics: