Water pollution

Water pollution (water courses, rivers, lakes and canals) is dealt with by the Environment Agency. Incidents relating to burst water mains/drinking water discolouration should be reported to South Staffs Water.

The Environment Agency can deal with the following:

  • Damage or danger to the natural environment, pollution to water or land
  • Poaching or illegal fishing, fish in distress or dead fish
  • Watercourse blocked by vehicle or fallen tree causing risk of flooding
  • Illegal dumping of hazardous waste or large amounts of industrial waste
  • Incidents at waste sites regulated by the Environment Agency such as landfill
  • Illegal abstraction from water courses, unusual drop in river flow
  • Collapsed or badly damaged river or canal banks

Incident Hotline: 0800 807 060