Environmental permits

Industrial processes which have the potential to cause pollution to the air, land or water require a permit in order to operate.

This is governed by the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 and the Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999.

Industrial processes are split into three designations: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

The Environment Agency regulates Part A(1) sites.

Tamworth Borough Council regulates Part A(2) (LA-IPPC) and Part B (LAPPC) sites.

Here’s an example of activities which may require an environmental permit, but please check the regulations for the full list.

  • Combustion processes (such as waste oil burners) 
  • Incinerators
  • Timber processes (such as timber manufacture and treatment)
  • Mineral processes (like cement plant and mineral screening, grading and crushing)  
  • Animal and plant treatment processes
  • Solvent and oil recovery processes (such as petrol filling stations and dry cleaners)
  • Coating processes (like printing and vehicle re-spraying)

Applying for an environmental permit

You can apply for an environmental permit by filling out the application form and submitting it to the environmental protection team, together with the correct application fee.

We’d advise getting in touch with the team by calling 01827 709709, or emailing environmentalmanagement@tamworth.gov.uk, to discuss your application first.

Fees and charges for environmental permits are set by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

Apply for an environmental permit.

Environmental permit consultations

Applications are carefully considered in consultation with relevant bodies and in accordance with relevant legislation. Members of the public are also invited to submit their comments during the consultation period.

Live applications open to consultation will be advertised here.

Public register

Tamworth Borough Council maintains a register of information related to industrial processes in Tamworth where an environmental permit was granted. This includes details of monitoring and inspection. Please contact us if you would like to view the register.