Housing benefit overpayments

An overpayment of benefit can occur when you receive benefit you are not entitled to. This could happen if you haven't told us about a change in circumstances, such as an increase in income, if someone moves into or out of your home, or any other changes affecting you or someone living with you.

We will let you know in writing if we believe there has been an overpayment, detailing how much, what caused it and when it needs to be repaid by.

If you don't agree with the overpayment, please let us know within one calendar month of the date on the letter.

Ways to pay

You can repay your overpayment in the following ways;

  • Online
  • Direct Debit - call us on 709709 to arrange
  • By phone - call us on 709709
  • By cheque - to Tamworth Borough Council, with the invoice number on the back
  • By Allpay card - contact us to arrange
  • By standing order - to Lloyds Bank PLC, sort code: 30-98-44, account 01970355

Recovering overpayments

Overpayments can be recovered in a number of ways, including:

  • Via an agreed reduction in your housing benefit if you are in receipt of this
  • By requesting reductions in other state benefits you might be receiving, or from your wages
  • From your landlord in some circumstances, if the benefit was paid to them

If you can't afford to pay back the money all at once, please contact us straight away as it may be possible to arrange repayment by instalments. 

Please contact the overpayment recovery team on 01827 709554, 709524 or 709482, if you need help repaying the money. We will always be sensitive to individual circumstances and collect debt respectfully.