Universal Credit

If you’re out of work, unable to work,or on a low income, you may be able to get Universal Credit.

This is a government benefit scheme which is replacing older forms of benefits and tax credits. 

Claimants who are currently receiving older forms of benefit including Housing Benefit have started to receive migration letters advising them they need to make a claim for Universal credit. This will continue throughout the year. This is explained in more detail here: Universal Credit if you receive a Migration Notice letter - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

It’s only aimed at working age adults (from the age of 16).

Whether you’re entitled and how much you might be able to get depends on your circumstances.

Pension Credit

If you’re over State Pension age and on a low income, including State Pension, you might be able to apply for Pension Credit to help with your living costs.

Useful links:

Help applying for Universal Credit

If you need help with your application, you can call the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

You can also get help from Tamworth Advice Centre.

Other help

You may be entitled to council tax support from Tamworth Borough Council. Please visit our page on help with council tax for more information.

For more information about housing benefits, visit our page on help with housing costs.

If you can’t find what you need, please contact our customer services team on 01827 709709, or email benefits@tamworth.gov.uk.